EY Oceania Law Leader
Kirsty Keating is seasoned in assisting multinational clients across several industries, and high wealth individuals, with large-scale tax disputes and litigation support. Her areas of experience include tax disputes involving allegations of tax avoidance; international tax and transfer pricing; tax administration; and the strategic and procedural aspects of tax disputes. Kirsty also advises on the tax aspects of transactions, group structuring and cross border financing.
Kirsty heads the EY Oceania Law Practices, coordinating the activities of lawyers in Auckland, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne who practise in the areas of corporate & commercial, digital, employment, real estate and private client services law.
Qualifications and admissions
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Admitted in New South Wales, Australia
- LLB, Victoria University, Wellington
- LLM in Tax and Corporate Law (first class honours), University of Auckland
- Tax Committee of the New Zealand Law Society
- International Fiscal Association (IFA)
- International Association of Managing Partners (IAMP)
- Listed in International Tax Review’s Tax Controversy Leaders for New Zealand
- Listed International Tax Review’s Leading Women in Tax for New Zealand
- Recognised in Chambers and Partners for her tax disputes practice in New Zealand, and recommended by AsiaPac Legal 500
- Information is power - Inland Revenue proposes greater access to taxpayer information (EY Tax Watch, 2 March 2016): http://www.ey.com/nz/en/services/tax/ey-tax-watch-edition-2-march-2016-information-is-power
- Inland Revenue unveils new policy on amending taxpayer assessments, “Regretted choice” rule superseded by new standard practice statement (EY Tax Watch, 3 May 2016): http://www.ey.com/nz/en/services/tax/ey-tax-watch-edition-3-may-2016-inland-revenue-unveils-new-policy-on-amending-taxpayer-assessments
- Vulnerable Trusts - trusts are used to protect assets against claims by creditors of all kinds as well as in matrimonial property matters (EY Tax Watch, 4 June 2016): http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/tax-watch-june-2016.pdf/$FILE/ey-tax-watch-june-2016.pdf
- Top Tax Tips for 2017 (New Zealand Herald, 3 January 2017): http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11775747
- New Zealand versus the world - The battle for international tax revenues reaches our shores (Law Talk, 30 June 2017): http://www.lawsociety.org.nz/practice-resources/practice-areas/tax-law/new-zealand-versus-the-world-the-battle-for-international-tax-revenues-reaches-our-shores
- Thomson Reuters Tax Litigation Global Guide 2017/18: New Zealand (with Mike Lennard and Simon Chapman): http://global.practicallaw.com/7-623-0708.